Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Lilac Lesson




Lilacs are special to me. Why? The fragrance is intoxicating. I am told that on the day my parents got married, my mother just went out in the yard, picked a few white lilacs and drove to the church. No fussing, no huge cost. Things were so simple then.

For years I have jealously eyed every lilac bush that I passed and vowed that someday I would have so many bushes that I could pick as many as I wanted and you would not be able to notice.


When we moved to our present home 13 years ago, we planted 2 bushes and friends gave me two more and this year they are full of glorious blooms. Why are they exceptionally beautiful this year?

Lilacs bloom best after a harsh winter.
So in life, those who go through hard difficult experiences often blossom, bloom and bless our lives with deeper sensitivity, strength and genuine kindness...... like a sweet fragrance.


2 Corinthians 2 : 14-15 (The Message)
God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God.

This is how it should be! I wonder... is my life sweet - smelling?

1 comment:

Sister C said...

Yes it is! I like your story.