Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I Hate Halloween

I am so glad it is past again for another year. Several weeks before October 31st, I walked into my grocery store and was disgusted by this hideous figure of a life-sized man (marked down from $149.00 to $99.00) with an ashen-grey face, ugly teeth, in a long black cloak, leering at me with his vacant, sunken, evil eyes. Most stores were filled with all kinds of grotesque masks, axes, witches, devils, monster costumes, tombstones and countless other morbid items.
People were decorating their houses and front yards with a lot more than a few jack-o-lanterns. I had to drive by a house on my street that had several life-sized bodies hanging from the trees leading to the front door. Since I have gone through the agony of suicide in my family, believe me, that is not funny or appropriate. And this is supposed to be an event for children? There aught to be a law! Fireworks have been banned because of danger, and yet we are promoting something that is far worse..trivializing death, macabre activities and fear.

Halloween reeks of evil, dwells on death and yet it is the fastest growing holiday in North America. And people wonder why violence and killing is on the increase!

As Christians, we should have no part in this holiday and do our best to find wholesome alternatives for our children. God Help Us!

1 comment:

Rosella said...

I so agree with you. Halloween is absolutely the worse holiday there is. I don't know why they call it a holiday. What are they celebrating? Death, horror, vandalism? Thanks for sharing!