Friday, August 3, 2007

Trapped

We just returned from a wonderful time at the lake with kids and friends. Most of our cooking was done on BBQ's and campstoves. But when it came time to sit down to a delicious meal, we had univited guests joining us. It was the year for wasps. People were swatting and running and getting stung all over the campsite.
A sympathetic friend brought an insect trap and set it on our table and it worked. It was also very fascinating to watch....just a jar with a bit of pop in the bottom and a few holes under the sides of the lid which led to a small tube to the inside. It was like a wasp magnet.

If those wasps could speak & think, I imagine it would be something like this.

"Hmm, something in there sure smells good and sweet. Gotta get me some of that. Oh, here's a little opening. Yeah, I'm in. Oh boy, it's kinda tight and hot in here. Help, I can't get out! Forget the pop, I gotta get out of here. Buzz,buzz,bzzzz. Oh dear, here comes my brother, and my cousin, and my friends...Stop you guys! Don't get sucked in too. It's a trap! Too late. Buzz,buzz, bzzzz. It's so hot and I can't breathe. I can't fly anymore, I'm getting tired, I'm goin' down. Help! I'm drowning in this awful warm pop."

Outside more come to investigate. " Wow, there must be something really great going on in there. Listen to all that humming. This is where the action is! Let's join them, everybody's doin' it!"

Several lessons and observations come to mind, but I will let you draw your own conclusions to my little story.

No comments: