Friday, July 6, 2007

Celebrate Life

My last week consisted of a bridal shower, a wedding, a 60th birthday party and two funerals.
At each event, I met wonderful friends & relatives. (like a reunion) Each celebration was very different with a wide gamut of emotions.
The bride-to-be was showered with gifts and blessings...eagerly awaiting her big day.
The bride was gorgeous in all her finery...nervously awaiting the walk down the aisle.
My cousin enjoyed her birthday party immensely with lots of laughter & fun.

Then there were the funerals.....
I must say, I enjoyed them too. There were many tears but there was also celebration for two very different persons, because we knew that they are in the presence of their Saviour and at rest & peace. No more sickness, no more struggles.

My friend, Carol (I feel) was too young to die. She was a most open, honest person with no pretentiousness. She was real. Her love for God was so evident.
This was reflected in her choice of simple songs when she sang solos with that beautiful clear soprano voice. What a blessing she was to so many people!

My Uncle John, at 93, had a long good life. He was spared physical suffering and died peacefully. He was quiet, had a sly sense of humor, and had a sure, steady faith in God.
He openly loved his wife of 60 years and patiently spent hours with her in the care home.

When we reflect on memories shared, after all the anecdotes and funny stories, in the end all that really matters and is of eternal value is our relationships with people and God. After each funeral, I renew my resolve to remember this.

No comments: