Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Day Dinner

It was a different Christmas because our family met on the 23rd. What a wonderful time we had! The little ones had been counting the "sleeps" before they could open the presents that were stashed under Grammies tree. After dinner, it was precious to watch our six year-old granddaughter bring nativity characters to life as the old story was read.

Our Family Christmas Day was over! Now what?
So we enjoyed visits with people who did not have family nearby and brought leftover turkey and trimmings to a sick neighbour.

Looking beyond my comfortable home and space, I see so much hurt, need and pain.
God, please forgive my blinded eyes.
Scripture encourages us not to forget the needy, widows and orphans.

My cousins, Don & Diane, are orphans and have often been forgotten. Their father died when they were very small. Their mother, my aunt, was a hard worker and tried as best she could to raise them, but I am ashamed to say, she did not get much help and support from her extended family. Her parenting consisted of much shouting, slapping, verbal and physical abuse. She remarried which added many other negative family dynamics. This second husband died very suddenly and now they were on their own again. A few years later, she also passed away.

Diane had back/spine surgery and has had difficulty finding a job. She was married, has one daughter, but her marriage ended in divorce. Her common-law husband of ten years, just passed away very suddenly, and she was devastated, so I helped her plan a memorial service for him. Even though she is not physically strong, I admire her amazing strength and courage.

Don was married for ten years, but his wife left him. He has asperger syndrome, which makes him very nervous, agitated, impulsive and exasperating. Constant ridicule and some childhood sexual abuse has left him with bouts of depression and emotional scars. He has worked as a restaurant dishwasher for 25 years. Since they both don't drive, commuting from the city to visit relatives is difficult, therefore many times they have been left out or forgotten.
Their social circle is small. Both are trying to trust God for their future and struggle to "keep the faith" inspite of lifes disappointments and hurts.


On Christmas Day, my husband and I packed up a dinner, picked up Diane, went to Don's cluttered apartment and shared a meal with them. He excitedly tried to clean his kitchen (no running water at the kitchen sink) and prepared mashed potatoes and "well-charred ham".

He kept giving me gifts from his hoarded stash of collectibles. "Here, I want you to have this"......a turquoise necklace and earrings, an old CD, a wooden goose, a silver chain, etc. etc. Over and over we heard, "You are my favorite cousins, I love you."


Needless to say, it was a most memorable,unforgettable Christmas dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my first post I'd love to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
I was sure this would be a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/golf-party-supplies.html]golf Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

I just discovered the website who discuss about
Several
home business reviews

If you want to know more here it is
home based business

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd love to thank you for such a terrific quality forum!
thought this would be a nice way to make my first post!
The best way compile revenue it is usually a wise conception to start a savings or investing course of action as early in life as possible. But don't fear if you have not began saving your money until later on in life. Through hard work, that is exploring the best investment vehicles for your money you can slowly but surely increase your riches so that it extends to a big sum by the time you want to retire. Review all of the accessible asset classes from stocks to real estate as investments for your money. A knowledgeable and diversified portfolio of investments in different asset classes may help your money enlarge throughout the years.

-Kelly Siemers
[url=http://urwealthy.com]currency exchange rates[/url]