Thursday, December 18, 2008

Small Wheels & Big Bumps


The snow in B.C. is beautiful and it really looks like a white Christmas. However, snow presents some challenges for drivers on the sideroads and freeways. Our little street seldom gets a snowplow and has never been sanded, but we get out just fine. Last night, I was clearing the light powdery snow from the sidewalk in front of our property, because last year about this time I got a real reality check for how important this act is.


It happened like this...

My granddaughter, was spending the afternoon at an office very near my house. When her mother phoned to say that she would not be able to pick her up after work, I gladly volunteered to do that for her.

Since my van does not have a lift for her power wheelchair, I decided to walk to meet Tessa and we would come back to my house. As I started walking I realized we had a problem. The main roads were clear, but my street was still slushy and snowy and many of the sidewalks had not been cleared. So I returned to my house for a shovel and proceeded to remove snow and chip ice patches all along the route. (major job)

The ride home was more than challenging for Tessa, because every patch of ice was scary and snow clumps resulted in painful, bumpy hurdles.

Please remember this. Disabled people are virtually shut- in their homes till the snow disappears unless someone kindly clears their path for them.

2 comments:

Dawnelle said...

I remember this... I still can't believe you did all that shoveling...you went way beyond the Grandmother duties that day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Esther,
It was so good to see you at the luncheon yesterday. So glad to know you're a blogger. Your site is wonderful! I've only seen a bit of it yet but appreciate your inspiring insights very much. God bless you,
Alice