Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Lift My Hands?

If you pass me on the highway, and see me waving my arm in the air, I could be saying "Hi" or having my own private little worship party in my car.
I love to crank up the volume of a good song and lift my voice and hands in praise and prayer. Depending on the day, I could be smiling broadly or crying. This has prompted some very strange looks from other drivers.

When the heart overflows with emotions of gratitude, sadness or love, it is natural to respond in a physical way. Something special happens when I am physically engaged in the act of worship by clapping to the rythm, dancing to the music or raising my hands. It is wonderful and freeing. So why do I have a problem?

I grew up in a wonderful church where this kind of "show" was frowned upon, yet the singing was very hearty, awesome, worshipful & sincere. Once in a while we would hear a loud "Aaamen" in response to a good song or a particular point in the preacher's sermon that needed a little added emphasis.

Many wonderful, godly people who influenced my life would have been very offended by any physical activity during the service and I respected that.
There was a sense of awe and reverence which was beautiful and intimidating at the same time. Therefore, this is still a sensitive area for me in the corporate worship setting now.

Whether we kneel, fall flat on our face, sit, stand, remain motionless, clap, cry, dance, shout "hallelujah", or raise our hands...God sees the heart and he loves to see & hear the praises of his people. PTL

No comments: