Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I've Had My Moments

A song by 'Emerson Drive' tells the story of a young man watching a homeless man crawl out of a cardboard box. The dirty, disheveled man shrinks from the look of disgust and pity, then turns to the young one and says,

"I haven't always been this way.
I've had my moments, I was second to none,
I've had my moments, my days in the sun.
Moments, when I knew I did what I thought I couldn't do,
Lookin' at me now you might not know it
But, I've had my moments."

Within each sad, disturbed person, there is a story we don't care to hear.

As I work and interact with residents at the Seniors Rest Home, they express frustration about not being able to remember things, walk, take a bath or find their own room.
They remind me, "I wasn't always this way. I was a farmer, a bus driver, a teacher, a mother of eleven children, a minister. I could do things!...I've had my moments. Please don't laugh at me. Please be patient with me."

Every person longs to be treated with dignity and respect. In God's eyes, their worth is no less than yours and mine.

1 comment:

Dawnelle said...

Awesome blog mom! Now I need to listen to that song again! lol