Sunday, April 22, 2007

Pruning

Just give me a clipper or an electric hedge trimmer and I'm in my glory. My rosebushes and evergreens cringe when they see me coming with them in hand. Plants actually go into shock from severe pruning, but when it is done correctly, they soon thrive and flourish. My rose bushes fight back with their thorns, but I keep telling them that it is for their own good that I am cutting away the dead and weak branches. Gorgeous summer blooms will be my reward. I stand back to make sure the green hedge is trimmed level and even. Aah..beautiful and tidy.

The analogy of pruning is used in John chapter 15 where God is portrayed as a gardener, pruning out branches from the grapevine that are not bearing fruit and pruning the good ones to produce better crops. We are compared to the branches of a vine. God uses many things to shape us into what he wants us to beccome and this can be painful. Testings such as sickness, disappointments and convictions from his Spirit point out things that shouldn't be in our lives. This is never a pleasant experience but he is a careful, skillful, loving pruner who can shape us into something beautiful, reflecting His character.....if we submit and allow him to.

2 comments:

Cam said...

Oh the timing.

I literally just walked in from "pruning" my plum tree. Of course, my idea of pruning is a little more haphazard - but it seems that the more adversity I pour onto that poor tree, the more fruit it rains down upon my lawn. I'm sure that the angels have a chuckle at that.

If only I didn't have to tie it all up into "tidy bundles not exceeding 36 inches" to make it all go away!

I'm glad that God prunes our lives with considerably more care and attention than I do.

(Last year I "pruned" our apple tree about 8 inches above ground level. Likewise our grape vine. Neither has shown any signs of giving up.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cam, Sure can identify with the thoughts in your blog, even though I am Grandma to our special kids.

It totally changes our life and outlook,but also teaches us so many valuable things that we would never have wanted to learn.